Friday, June 13, 2014

What is talent?

Throughout our lives we meet a vast amount of people. Each of these people have their own unique talents.  In most instances rarely, if ever, do we get to see or know how that person is talented, and often ask ourselves how am I talented? What is unique about me that I can do well? What is it that helps people think of or remember me?

I know many talented people from gymnasts to artists. Yet not once have I ever attained an awareness of having my own talents. I struggled for years to gain the ability to walk, to function and thrive as I do. While in it's own way it is impressive, it certainly isn't a unique and gifted talent. One must consider that our talents can show how we are special from others. Most people look at me and because I am disabled automatically see me a special though often not in a kind or positive light.

I am in awe of people who have such gifts as singing and writing that literally can reach out and touch people and in even the smallest way brighten another life. What makes us unique as person is defined by what abilities and interactions that we have and leave behind. On some level I have a unique compulsion to talk and interact with others. This interactions has introduced me to people of wealth, influence and fame.

I started this blog at the encouragement of my friend Jay Finn who himself is a writer.  Through Jay's advice and encouragement I've begun to try and find my own talents in writing.  As he said to me, it's simply about writing every day, one line at a time. It's interesting to note that despite our income or where we are from or what we do, that most often, we forget the simple fact that we are all human beings.

Though I struggle daily with self-doubt and the occasional thoughts that I have amounted to and will achieve nothing in my life. I'm fortunate to have stumbled across such individuals as Jay Finn, and the Youtube star Tiffany Alvord, whom I follow on Twitter and Facebook, and who often posts very uplifting and encouraging quotes. Several times I have found myself smiling upon reading her encouraging words for that day or time. Thus I had entered a day in that much brighter of a frame of mind. It also made me realize that in our darkest times we sometimes need a boost to see the light that this world offers us.

I'm glad I've found such individuals with such unique perspectives and talents that can offer me such helpful guidance, even if it's just in their nature to be positive. Through these individuals I have begun to find my own inner strength and balance to strive for what I could become proficient and capable of doing in my own life. Only time will tell what impact I will have on those that know me. Here's to hoping it's as grand as I wish it to be. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment